Friday, May 22, 2009

I love you, Gore Vidal


I love you, Gore Vidal. You speak quotations that are wonderfully true and incredibly amusing. Never will I need to quote anyone else but you, dear beloved Gore. You give us many gems of written word:

The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so.

It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

Every time a friend succeeds, I die a little.

As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests.

In writing and politicking, it's best not to think about it, just do it.

Some writers take to drink, others take to audiences.

There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either.

Write something, even if it's just a suicide note.

No comments:

Post a Comment